4.30.2008

'Bama Is Not Back

As you well know, SPUAT was not included among the 252 selections in this year's NFL draft. It was the first time Alabama has been shut out since 1970, the year the American Football League officially joined the NFL.

Some of the schools that had players drafted include, Bentley, Wheaton, Army, Division III Mount Union, Washburn, Gardner Webb, and Montana. Not SPUAT.

Some delusional Bammer quotes from the weekend...

"We're just really confused," offensive lineman Justin Britt said. "I mean, this doesn't make any sense."

No, Justin, it does. If you're good enough the NFL knows it and will draft you. If you're not, they won't.

"I was very surprised," defensive lineman Wallace Gilberry said, "just for the simple fact that me, DJ and Simeon were by far better than half the guys that were chosen in front of us, if not all of them."

Hopefully in a couple of months when Gilberry's NFL career is over no team hires him as a scout because if it were up to him, he, DJ Hall and Simeon Castille would have been the first three picks of the draft.

Pre-draft analysis of DJ Hall that appeared on NFL.com: "Even if there is a $100 bill in the middle of the field with his name on it, he will not be found in that area. He looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane."

Maybe he won't go after a $100 bill but I bet he would if it was $100 worth of the stickiest of the icky.

"I guess the NFL people didn't see what 92,000 Alabama fans saw every week," Hall's agent Ed Rowan said. "I can't explain it."

So he thinks Bammers can critically evaluate their players? Puh-leaze. Were these Bammers at the Louisiana-Monroe game?

"I've never seen anything like this," receiver Matt Caddell said. "I was just looking for the first Bama guy. I was most surprised about DJ and Gilberry. I was kind of shocked they didn't get drafted."

Sorry, Matt, going 6-6 every year, playing in the Independence Bowl, and not working hard after your last season isn't what the NFL is looking for. Hate to break it to ya.

"A lot of people were blowing a lot of smoke, crying wolf, so I was kind of glad I didn't get drafted once it got past the sixth round," Gilberry said.

Complete bullbammer, every player wants to get drafted.

"I almost got drafted," Britt said, "but I couldn't believe Wallace and DJ and Simeon didn't get drafted. It doesn't make any sense at all. A lot of these guys going in their same position, and I just don't think they can match up with these guys I've been playing with for four years."

Yeah, almost, and SPUAT almost won the 2005 Iron Bowl.

"Just because a guy isn't taken in the first round or those early rounds," Simeon Castille said last week, "it doesn't mean that he can't have an awesome impact in the NFL."

If anyone can fine the percentages of undrafted free agents that make it, we'd like to know but I'm sure it's not good.

No comments: