10.13.2008

Weakness vs. Strength

Albert Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Well, unfortunately, Albert Einstein isn't Auburn's offensive coordinator.

In the cruelest twist of all this past weekend, a weekend that saw our former OC come back to Auburn the same week we fired an OC, I ran into Al Borges walking out of Jordan-Hare Saturday night. He looked just like a dad who just finished enjoying a football game with his son (who happened to be wearing an Auburn hat). I walked up and patted him on the shoulder and told him he was a "stand up guy". He said, "Thanks, I appreciate that." I walked on and let him be. I did not want Borges fired at the time but I bought into the spread hook line and sinker after the fact (Bammers fire away, I know you're reading).

What is Auburn's strength right now? Running back and offensive line, not wide receivers. So why gear the offense towards the passing game. Auburn is trying to run the offense of a fired offensive coordinator with a staff who has no experience running it and does not believe in it fully. Tuberville has said that AU will hire an outside OC next year, what are the odds he will run the exact same offense? Not likely. So why continue? All of the players that see significant time on offense have experience in a pro-style running offense. So name Kodi Burns the unquestioned starter for the rest of the season and go back to what works with these players.

Chris Todd does not deserve the abuse he has received from Auburn fans who boo him. It is inexcusable and shouldn't happen. I'm sure he's played his last down as an Auburn Tiger and it's probably for the best. Personally, I know he did the best that he could but he is not an SEC quarterback. He has a problem with his arm and I watched him on the sidelines holding his elbow and trying to shake it out while warming up. I felt equally as bad for him Saturday night as I did for Kodi during the early parts of the Tennessee game. Brad Lester and Kodi Burns once again proved their worth as they each spent several minutes with Todd talking to him and doing their best to help him.

Do I think this season is over? No. Will it be difficult to win the rest of the way? Yes. But it can be done and I believe it will but that is up to the coaches.

No comments: