11.03.2008

Auburn Needs to Visit This Place

Let me start off by saying this has been the most excruciating and tiring Auburn season of my lifetime. I have never seen an Auburn team play this poorly and it's sapping my strength.

Coach Tubs says that this team hasn't quit and I don't think the players have but what is going on with this team? When AU had the ball around the 40 yard line towards the end of the first half and 3 timeouts left, why weren't they trying to score?

I didn't go to the game and have been fighting a sore throat so I spent a lot of time Saturday on the couch watching football. I watched Michigan State, Northwestern, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, and others for long periods of time and I figured out one thing about the zone-read handoff play that Auburn can't run effectively to save their lives; when AU hands off to the RBs, they try to run out wide and it never works. The teams that I saw play on Saturday who run this play do one thing on that play - they run it up the middle. Running it out wide allows fast defenses to contain it while up the middle it's a quick-hitter and doesn't allow the defense to react quickly enough. The only time it ever works running out wide is if you have someone as fast as Percy Harvin, and I love Benny Tate and Brad Lester but they aren't that fast. So why do we continue to do that?

I want Tubs to stay on as coach but a complete overhaul of the offensive staff is needed. If Tubs stays and hires an outside OC then every single member of the offensive staff (except for maybe Eddie Gran) should have to interview for their jobs. If the OC decides he wants to keep them, then so be it, but it should be up to him to have the staff around him that he wants. Not one he's forced into.

No comments: