8.26.2008

Wholio's Car Is This?

Koenning takes a stab at Alabama's recruiting

Two weeks ago, defensive coordinator Vic Koenning answered a question of mine by saying he wasn't going to let his mouth overload his rear end. Well, it might have happened Monday night.

Koenning has long recruited southern Alabama (see Brandon Maye), and hyped Alabama freshman receiver Julio Jones is from down there (Foley, Ala.). I asked him a generic question about what he had heard from his connections about Jones, and here was his response: "Julio? You know what, I actually ran into Julio in the spring recruiting. I said hello to him and said, 'I guess I'll be seeing you at the end of August.' Then he got out and got in his Escalade and drove off. That's (being) serious. And then I went over and watched (Alabama freshman) Burton Scott at Vigor High School at the track over there, and Burton Scott was running around. He went and got in his Escalade out at track practice and drove off. S o I'm familiar with those two guys." Koenning said that in front of six reporters, all with tape recorders going. About 10 minutes later, he sought me out and asked if we (the media) knew he was kinda kidding around. It's one thing to kid around in casual conversation. It's quite another to make such allegations on the record, knowing it's likely to hit the Web in a matter of minutes. And it did. I have no idea whether he'd honestly take back what he said. B ut here's thinking he regretted saying it when he did.

The article is from http://pstrelow.thestateonline.com/

No comments: